Earth 255

Earth and Space Sciences for Elementary School Educators
Earth-255

This course is cross-listed as ASTRO 255

3 credit course–next offered in Fall 2019

This course covers introductory Earth and Space Sciences with an intended audience of students from the School of Education who are specializing in Elementary School Education.

The course is currently co-taught between me, Professor Adam Simon of the Department of Earth and Environmental Sciences, and Professor Philip Hughes (Fall 2016) of the Astronomy Department. Professor Monica Valluri of the Astronomy Department participated in the course from Fall 2013-2015, and Professor Peter van Keken participated in the course from Fall 2013-2014. Michela Arnaboldi covered the atmospheres and oceans section of the course during my sabbatical in Fall 2017.  I will next teach this course in Fall 2019.

Past and current offerings:

Fall 2013, Fall 2014, Fall 2015, Fall 2016, Fall 2018

Course Description

We will provide historical perspectives on the discovery of the Earth’s position in the solar system and universe, and discuss the formation of the universe and solar system. We then focus on the Earth as a dynamic planet by discussing plate tectonics, volcanoes and earthquakes, the dynamics of the atmosphere, climate change and the interaction between the major components of the climate system (atmosphere, oceans, cryosphere, and solid Earth).